ESPNU to air documentary on Sam Bowie

ESPNU plans to air a documentary on former Kentucky star Sam Bowie.

The documentary, titled “Going Big,” will air at 9 p.m. EST on Dec. 20. It chronicles the ups and downs of Bowie’s career. The arc began with him being one of the most heralded high school prospects. Of course, he sat out two seasons at UK because of stress fractures.

Injuries cut short his NBA career.

In promotional material released on Tuesday, Bowie recalled being examined by doctors for the Portland TrailBlazers prior to the 1984 NBA Draft.

I can still remember them taking a little mallet, and when they would hit me on my left tibia, and ‘I don’t feel anything’ I would tell ‘em,” Bowie said in the release. “But deep down inside, it was hurting. If what I did was lying and what I did was wrong, at the end of the day, when you have loved ones that have some needs, I did what any of us would have done.”

6 comments ↓

#1 mike mcbride on 12.11.12 at 3:11 pm

Sam was and still is a wonderful gentleman.

#2 Vern Coy on 12.11.12 at 6:31 pm

I loved big Sam – nicest Wildcat I ever met.

#3 William S P Campbell on 12.12.12 at 4:11 pm

The decisions we make in our lives has a compound effect. It’s wrong to judge anyone. But we live in as judgemental world. People think they have a right to do that. It’s simply not the case! Sam Bowie is a human being first. He did what any of us would do. Your a stand up guy, Mr. Bowie!!!!

#4 Jeff56 on 12.12.12 at 10:49 pm

Good for Sam! He’s always been a great guy from what I can see. He dealt with his bad luck with pride and humility at the same time and he took what life dished out. I don’t remember ever seeing a better talent than Sam until the fractures started. He went from a 7’2″ small forward to a lumbering giant who had a hard time making it down the floor before the ball was shot. it wasn’t for lack of trying. People always laugh about the fact he was drafted above Jordan. Well he had more talent than Jordan until he got hurt. Jordan didn’t shine all that much in college despite what people think. He was a great pro but not so much in college. Bowie showed a tremendous upside at a time when a center was considered the must have franchise player. Too bad he didn’t get to play with the talent he had early on. He would have really been great.

#5 kathy king on 12.22.12 at 12:54 am

I didn’t get to see the documentary…can we purchase the documentary? If so where? Thanks, Kathy

#6 Jerry Tipton on 12.27.12 at 4:24 pm

I would check with the ESPN website.