Woods doesn’t like ‘vibe’ of UK players

Morehead State Coach Sean Woods said Monday he did not like the “vibe” he got from Kentucky players at the recent telethon to benefit Hurricane Sandy victims.
When asked to explain what he did not like, Woods said, “They didn’t seem like Kentucky basketball players to me, and I’ll leave it at that.”
But Woods did elaborate, saying modern-day players don’t appreciate the game’s history. He also seemed to wonder if UK players this season appreciate what playing for Kentucky means.
“There is just a certain way and a certain look Kentucky basketball players should have,” said Woods, who played for UK in the early 1990s. “And not have such sense of entitlement.
“I think today it’s still an honor to wear that uniform.”
Woods noted how John Calipari’s three previous seasons as UK coach have transformed the program into a well-oiled production line that places multiple players in the NBA each season.
The Morehead State coached wondered aloud if that quick path to the NBA leads players to take Kentucky for granted.
“I think these kids should be more appreciative,” Woods said. “. . . You went through there and it helped you become who you are in those six, seven to eight months.”

8 comments ↓

#1 Steve on 11.19.12 at 1:10 pm

Well, he just stirred up a hornet’s nest.

#2 Tom on 11.19.12 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Coach Woods for telling it like it is.
It is Kentucky basketball, its an advanced AAU team that happens to use the facilities.
Thank you.

#3 Tom on 11.19.12 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Coach Woods for telling it like it is.
It isn’t Kentucky basketball, its an advanced AAU team that happens to use the facilities. I wonder how many of them could name two college professors on campus.
Thank you.

#4 Rick on 11.19.12 at 2:21 pm

Find it interesting how this one year rule issue is UK’s fault and therefore UK’s to fix. These star recruits are going to go to the NBA after one year — that is a fact and you can criticize them and UK all you want but until the one year rule is addressed by the NBA and the NCAA, all UK, and the players, are doing is playing by the rules. From what I have seen from their grade point averages and their conduct on and off the court, coach Cal is doing a pretty good job of steering them in the right direction for as long as he has them.

#5 Robert on 11.19.12 at 2:30 pm

I wonder if Coach Woods would still express that opinion if any of the current UK or even future recruits had they shown any interest in playing for Morehead State. I find it somewhat humorous that the ones that continually bemoan the one and done recruits/system is mainly due to the fact that they are unable to recruit them. I have yet to hear anything about this system from IU, Duke or NC. Oh! …. That’s because they have a few.

#6 Josh on 11.19.12 at 2:39 pm

Tom, I would venture to say that all of them can name more than two college professors on campus. As a recent Alumnus of the University of Kentucky, I can attest to having class with multiple players. Their grades also attest to their academic commitment.

If I was offered that type of salary to do what I wanted to do with my life, I would have left school also.

What would you prefer? To recruit Gillispie-type players and pray to be relevant? This is the reality of College Basketball under the current rule system. If you don’t like it, find another team.

#7 Sean on 11.19.12 at 2:40 pm

Real classy, Coach. Way to eat your own.

#8 Bob Parker on 11.19.12 at 3:20 pm

The worship of money has taken over sports in
general and Kentucky basketball specifically.
Kentucky basketball has become a minor league
team for the NBA. Wonder if the NBA gives any