Donovan questions all-access shows

During SEC Media Day Thursday, Florida Coach Billy Donovan questioned the all-access format. Of course, ESPN is airing a three-part All-Access Kentucky program this month.
Here are Donovan’s comments:
“I don’t know. I would not there to be anything — I wouldn’t say I would do it or wouldn’t do it — I wouldn’t want the disruption of our guys knowing there is something going on right now and how that would impact what we need to get done. And I think every coach is different on how they would want to handle it, I don’t have any feelings one way or another
“I do think if you are using it as a recruiting tool, I don’t think that’s right. If you are using it in a way to maybe help young young players out there, to see what a college practice, college environment is like … I did an all-acess show for coaches to buy so to speak, drills, practices those kind of things.
“Whatever your philosophy is, we’re always selling our programs in one way or other, whether it’s all-access, whether it’s DVDs, whether it’s media days, we’re always selling our programs. For me if was doing something that like, I would want it to be done in a way to represent how we do things at Florida.
“I wouldn’t do it as a recruiting tool because you are in practice with players who are in our program right now, you are practicing with your guys. I think it could be used as a recruiting tool . . .
“I haven’t even seen the Kentucky all-access so I don’t know anything about it. I don’t even know. In all those things, if you are trying to recruit through that, and kids are in the middle of practice playing, I think practice should be for practice.

“I don’t know if I want our kids’ days to be interrupted like that because I wanted to necessarily maybe go out and promote the program. I think that’s our job as a coach. No, I haven’t seen it, so I don’t know what it is, but I wouldn’t want our guys to deal with cameras in their dorms. That’s just me. I want our guys to focus on being normal college students. But at the same point, maybe it’s good exposure for those guys. Maybe it’s exposure that will help them later in life. But I would be sensitive to that.”

8 comments ↓

#1 EdC on 10.25.12 at 3:48 pm

Billy Donovan is about as eloquent as Joe Biden.

#2 Wrong on 10.25.12 at 5:48 pm

I read all of what Donovan said. I have no idea what it meant. And, I have no idea why someone would think it is worth putting on a website, or in a newspaper.

#3 bill on 10.26.12 at 4:01 am

Dont think UK needs a recruiting tool. ESPN always does an all access. UK won the championship they got one, just the same as Alabama football got one. Is it also a recruiting tool showing the NBA draft? Considering UK players are flooding it.

#4 Beverly on 10.26.12 at 7:40 am

Donovan surprised me with the down right jealousy he showed. I didn’t expect that from him. This isn’t for the whole season just a few weeks. Is he worried about that? Are you kidding me? Exposure are you kidding me about that and a distraction???? He isn’t into Kentucky and doesn’t know what our team means to us. We are Kentucky proud and proud they are doing this. I guess it is a culture shock for Billy.

#5 Bill on 10.26.12 at 9:06 pm

UK could cure cancer and someone would gripe about it.

#6 Matt on 10.27.12 at 10:08 am

Either the writer of this story is an idiot or Donovan was drunk when did the interview.

#7 HerbRice on 10.27.12 at 1:29 pm

Actually BillyD probably understands Kentucky quite well since he started his coaching career there as an assistant to Pitino. But in this case I think he is just a bit annoyed that Kentucky is doing the TV show thing and that he is not. And there is nothing wrong with that. A natural reaction from a rather competative guy.

#8 KYBlue on 10.29.12 at 1:49 am

If this interview is any indication, ask Billy D the time and he’ll tell you how to make a watch.