UK announces three off team

UK announced Tuesday that three scholarship players will not be back on the team next season.

The three were A.J. Stewart, Donald Williams and Jared Carter.

An earlier version of this blog incorrectly listed DeAndre Liggins as one of the three.

Stewart played sparingly for two seasons at UK. He’ll have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Williams did not play at all as a freshman, which generated speculation about a redshirt season.

Carter missed almost all of a season because of shoulder surgery. He could have applied for a medical redshirt season in 2009-10. But that will not happen.

Here are reactions from the three players, as supplied by UK.
Carter, a 7-2 senior, will not seek a fifth year, after sitting out the majority of the 2006-07 season due to a shoulder injury. The Georgetown, Ky., native finished his career with the Wildcats averaging 1.0 points and 1.1 rebounds in 42 games.

“I’ve enjoyed my experience at UK and will remember all the people and players I’ve met along the way, especially Mr. Keightley,” said Carter. “I’m looking forward to moving on with my life and am excited to see what professional opportunities await me.”

Stewart and Williams are both seeking a transfer. Stewart, a 6-7 sophomore, averaged 2.0 points and 1.5 rebounds this season. He shot 82 percent from the free throw line, while averaging 5.7 minutes per game.

“I appreciate Coach Calipari and the staff being truthful with me,” said Stewart. “I want to further my career both academically and athletically at a school where more playing time is available. I know that coach will do anything possible to find a great situation for me.”

Williams, a 6-3 freshman, did not see any action in 2009, his freshman season.

“My time at Kentucky was a great experience,” said Williams. “I developed great friendships with my teammates; the environment was great; the fans showed us a lot of love; my teachers were great. It was just a good experience for me and a wonderful opportunity to improve myself, being around different guys from different areas. Even though I had to sit out this year, I would have liked to have played and helped, but with coach leaving, sometimes it just happens that way.”

40 comments ↓

#1 Walter’s Wildcat World - WildcatWorld.com » UK to announce three off team (Jerry Tipton) on 05.26.09 at 9:53 am

[...] UK plans to announce Tuesday morning that three scholarship players will not be back on the team next season.  Read article. [...]

#2 Jack on 05.26.09 at 9:56 am

When? Is there a press conference? Will it be shown on the LHL website?

#3 Matt on 05.26.09 at 10:16 am

I think UK announced that A.J. Stewart and Donald Williams will seek a transfer and that Carter will not persue a 5th year of eligibility. I haven’t seen anything from UK at this point that has Liggins leaving, although I agree he will probably end of going with both Wall and Bledsoe on board.

#4 BP on 05.26.09 at 10:39 am

Liggins is a new one on the list, are you sure you got that right? I could think of several other players who should be on the list, but not him.

#5 ukcrazy74 on 05.26.09 at 10:41 am

surely the third will be donald williams

#6 Clay on 05.26.09 at 10:59 am

Somehow, there is an ethical conflict with this situation. Apparently Dr. Lee Fraud and Barnyard don’t share this. Why aren’t the players being interviewed. Surely, the Hearld-Liar would not avoid a story.

#7 Brian Shannon on 05.26.09 at 11:01 am

I suspect Galloway will be in that group….Williams was only offered a 1 year schollie I believe. Another brilliant move by Billy G…..bring a kid in for one year and red shirt him.

#8 Hamlet on 05.26.09 at 11:17 am

LIGGS! It aint so!!

#9 Bryan on 05.26.09 at 11:19 am

With those 3 and Porter not coming back that is only 4 scholarships that are freed up, so if Meeks comes back (which I think he will) then we still have to open up 2 more

#10 Rick on 05.26.09 at 11:20 am

Are you sure this time???

#11 Tipton: UK to announce three off team on 05.26.09 at 11:26 am

[...] TIPTON’S BLOG – UK plans to announce Tuesday morning that three scholarship players will not be back on the team next season. [...]

#12 Mike on 05.26.09 at 11:33 am

It’s not like anyone was ever counting Jared Carter’s scholarship against next year’s numbers… We are still a couple over the limit depending on Meeks.

#13 Johnny Hughes on 05.26.09 at 11:38 am

Since no one was counting Carter as a scholarship anyway, that means that UK is still one over if Meeks does not come back, and two over if he does, correct?

#14 voiceofreason on 05.26.09 at 11:49 am

3- Correct- but another decision will depend and wait on Meeks and what he does as well as qualifying from the incoming freshman.

#15 Johnny Hughes on 05.26.09 at 11:50 am

Maybe one of the Kentucky resident players can redshirt and be a walkon for a year? I know the rules for Football (for example) require that a Track guy (like Moncell Allen) can not play football and track and keep his track scholarship, but has to move to a football scholarship. Surely some smart person can figure out how to get some grants or something so when Cousins and Wall leave with the seniors, there is some talent left :D

#16 catman4life on 05.26.09 at 11:52 am

#4 – Calipari said that Bledsoe has received the grade he needed and that Cousins has received a passing score on his SAT. ALL freshmen we recruited are qualified, just need verification from the NCAA Clearinghouse.

#17 CatsTops on 05.26.09 at 12:05 pm

Williams – no big loss. Stewart – whiner who couldn’t contribute. Carter – time to move on.
Who’s next?
Harrellson? No room in the pivot.
Perry? Will never earn playing time.
All walk-ons are suspect.

#18 Jack on 05.26.09 at 12:31 pm

Other than confirming Stewart, this did nothing to answer the “who leaving” problem. How did DeAndre get mis-identified? What a terrible rumor to get wrong, especially if he isn’t in the next wave.

#19 anonymouscat on 05.26.09 at 12:31 pm

…I have a snowcone stand at the noth pole and need a salesman…. anyone think Coach Cal is interested?…. we pay commission… the sky is the limit for his potential earnings….

#20 shavit on 05.26.09 at 12:32 pm

johnny … that’s the old way of thinking. I’m not sure we’re going to have to worry about the flow of talent anymore …

at least, let’s hope.

#21 Catlanta32 on 05.26.09 at 1:07 pm

I am glad to see that the roster is coming together. The three student athletes are great kids. It seems as if they took the news well. If Meeks comes back then Cal has to make a decision on cutting two more players. I have to believe one player be asked to give up his scholarship and walk-on. Harrelson would make the most sense in that situation. Because of his financial situation he may qualify for some type of scholarship. Of the players that are not coming back, I believe the NCAA should waive the transfer rule. They should be able to transfer without penalty to any university of their choice. If the athlete is asked to leave for anything other than academics or violation of team rules then the NCAA should not penalize them. Glad to see talent back in the Blue Grass. Go Big Blue!

#22 CatsTops on 05.26.09 at 1:10 pm

‘Dre may be the next to leave IF Wall gains eligibility.
I’m sure everyone remembers the selfishness “Dre displayed in Vegas. No one is going to cater to him this year. With the freshmen coming in, Patrick, Cousins,
Miller, Meeks (will be back) – where is “Dre going to play? Galloway is much more suited for the “Dribble Drive” than ‘Dre (although ‘Dre could conform).
The exit out of town is not over….

#23 bradleydiom on 05.26.09 at 1:40 pm

that still leaves 1 or 2 spots to be vacated for the incoming freshmen by my count.

#24 FANS4UK on 05.26.09 at 1:53 pm

All three should transfer to Kentucky Weslyan and play immediately without having to set out a year.

#25 Wildcat1973 on 05.26.09 at 2:02 pm

Liggins will prove to be the best PG in UK history. Even better than the current best player in the NBA, Rajon Rondo. His +/- ratings will be off the charts.

John Wall will learn under him just as I learned under the best players in KHSAA history at Ballard.

Stats, stats, stats!!!!!!!!

#26 Gina on 05.26.09 at 2:42 pm

What this about Carter? I thought he was a senior last year and that he was already done. Does not make sense to me.

#27 FL Cat on 05.26.09 at 3:26 pm

Why was Carter even in the conversation? He played sparingly his entire career. He was a senior last year, and the lone senior on the team (if I recall correctly). So, why would anybody even consider him for a scholarship? Who’s bright idea was this?

#28 Adam on 05.26.09 at 3:51 pm

I fully believe that the coaching staff and athletic department are looking for several players who can qualify for other financial assistance to cover their tuition. I still can’t believe Coach Cal didnt have the decency to talk face to face with Sloan a member of the team, to help find him a place to go or allow him to walk on. The true Wildcat mentality shines through Landon and the team needs some of that to show other players what it means to put on that blue and white everyday! I just hope Cal can make things right with Slone.

#29 TRAVIS on 05.26.09 at 4:05 pm

The UK fans are crazy and that is why they are in KY. Billy G worked with what he had so what makes this man so special? He did not even sit down with one kid to explain the situation. So much for the famous PR coach. I hope the UK fans, boosters, etc., are happy with him dismissing the kids. He is suppose to coach, develop, and teach the kids not dismiss them so he can bring in the down south kids. So much for the KY pride. Everything will change with this man at the helm but it will not add another title. Fans get ready for some more heart aches.

#30 Ruthie on 05.26.09 at 6:10 pm

Can anybody give a accurate count of how many more players will have to hit the road if Meeks returns and how many if the doesn’t. It seems to me to be a simple answer, but will get a different number depending on who you ask.

#31 Mathew on 05.26.09 at 6:19 pm

UK should be embarrassed forcing these kids out. I know scholarships are year to year, but this is bad business.

#32 Woodhill on 05.26.09 at 7:42 pm

2 will need to go when Meeks returns. Most likely Haroldson and Liggins. Too bad it couldn’t be Stevenson and Harris!

#33 James on 05.26.09 at 7:45 pm

Nice article. So this seems to confirm two of the rumors we had heard before today. Have any of the other players currently on the roster graduated?

#34 Larry on 05.26.09 at 8:08 pm

Ruthie, here is the accurate count. Eight (8) returning scholarship players (Kevin Galloway, Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson, Josh Harrellson, Patrick Patterson, Matt Pilgrim, DeAndre Liggins, Darius Miller). Six (6) in the 2009 recruiting class (Jon Hood, Daniel Orton, DeMarcus Cousins, Darnell Dodson, Eric Bledsoe, John Wall. One (1) potential returnee (Jodie Meeks). There are 13 scholarships available. We’re 2 over with Jodie returning, 1 over if he doesn’t.

#35 Woodhill on 05.26.09 at 9:35 pm

Is Johnny serious or just trying to be funny? Does he really think this is the only #1 recruiting class we are going to have with Coach Cal? Johnny get use to this kind of talent each year. Cousins will not be leaving after 1 year and if he and Wall does, there will be more than enough talent, coming in each year, to replace anyone leaving,

#36 Gary on 05.26.09 at 11:55 pm

Johnny- The football player you are thinking of it Derrick Locke, not Moncell Allen. But the NCAA does not allow you to walk on one team if you particpate in another and are in scholarship. You can’t just walk-on to get your team another schilarship. Locke was initially going to be on a track scholarship, but is now on a football scholarship. He just happens to be a football player who runs track, but it not allowed to be on a track scholarship.

#37 Mathew on 05.27.09 at 10:14 am

UK should be embarrassed forcing these kids out. I understand scholarships are year to year but this is bad business.

#38 Woodhill on 05.27.09 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for your two cents, Mathew, you idiot!! Spoken like a true Lousyville Cardinal fan!!! Sure you would love a Kentucky team of Sloans and Carters. Sorry about your luck!

#39 Mathew on 05.28.09 at 12:01 am

Woodhill – What a witty retort! You’ve convinced me that I’m wrong. Schools should just be able to shuffle players in and out with no regard for any prior commitment. I guess if UK has no use for them anymore to hell with them. Let them sit out a year and then find somewhere else to play. GO CATS!

#40 Sensational 6 Fan on 05.28.09 at 10:44 am